Today I’d like to talk about one of the simplest and a very useful tool available to us. It is a simple flashlight. As I was thinking about this tool, I thought about how our Christian Life can mimic a flashlight. Let’s take a look at a flashlight a little closer.
Here is a simple diagram of a basic Flashlight.
There are 7 basic parts to this flashlight. So let’s look at and explore the purpose of each of these.
1.The case. The case of this flashlight is simply the holder of all the components. There can be many different types and or design of cases but they all do the same purpose. This is very similar to our body. Our body holds all of our components of our life which include our vital organs, our brain and our spirit and soul. Also remember that our spiritual body is a part of the body of Christ. 1 Corinthians 12:12 tells us, “For just as the body is one and yet has many parts, and all the parts of the body, though they are many, are one body, so also is Christ.”
2. The switch. We use this to turn on or turn off a light. This is similar to our spiritual life. We also have a switch that we can turn on or turn it off. We have a choice. We choose to serve God or Not to serve him. When we serve God we switch on His power. We can switch on God’s power by reading the Bible. Psalms 119:105 says, “Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path.”
3. The spring. The spring is a part of the light that pushes the power (batteries) forward to make contact with the light bulb. It also makes a complete electric circuit that’s hard to break. Without the spring pushing there would be no light. Just as in our spiritual life’s we need a push sometimes to move forward and not to be stationary. Also the push to keep a good connection with God. Psalm 32:8 tells us, “ I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you should go; I will advise you with My eye upon you.” God will help you, but you must be in contact with Him.
4.The batteries. This is the source of power that generates the light. There are different types of batteries and different sizes, but again they all do the same purpose. They are the energy that lights the flashlight. When they get weak we need to regenerate their power. Very similar to our spiritual life we need to have the power of God to generate our light. Acts 1:8 tells us “But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.” God will provide the power to us! When we need to regenerate or renew the power, We pray and read the Bible.
5. The bulb. This is the part of the flashlight that generates the light. It takes power from the batteries and then converts it into light. In our spiritual lives we receive power from God and with His help convert it into light. In John 12:8, “Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, “I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.” We can light up the darkness around us with His power. Matthew 5:14 says, “You are the light of the world….”
6. The reflector. The reflector is used to focus a weak light and make it strong. By focusing this light is able to penetrate the darkness a lot further. In our spiritual life the reflector is our Lord Jesus Christ. It is because of him that our lives are focused and amplified. In Ephesians 5:8, “For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light.” He allows us to shine brightly in the darkness of this world.
7. Protective lens. This is to protect the light bulb and keep it clean and bright. You will find a clear protective lens in front of the bulb. Just as in our life God will protect us and keep our light bright against all evil forces. We read in 2 Thessalonians 3:3, “But the Lord is faithful, who will establish you and guard you from the evil one.”
In closing let me ask you a question… How’s your light shining? Has it grown a little dimmer? Maybe it’s never been turned on.
Now is the time to let your light shine bright. It seems like everything in this world is getting darker. Time is short! We all are standing at the door to eternity. There is no better time than the present to turn your light on and start a fellowship with God. Or maybe renew your faith with Him. Just take a moment now and dedicate yourself to Christ Our Savior. Please… if you don’t know Christ or have fallen away please pray… Tell God you believe His Son Jesus paid for your sins and rose again. Tell God you are sorry and want to start Living for Him. He will forgive your sins and mistakes and give you Everlasting Life with Him… and place His Spirit deep within your heart. In 1 John 1:9 says, “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”
Please remember that it takes ALL parts of the flashlight to work efficiently and fully shine bright. Be the Light of the World!
I pray that God will truly Help and Bless you. May God Bless and Keep!
I thank you for reading my blog. I do not claim to be any expert or affiliated with any religious organization. All I can say is that I’m affiliated with my Lord Jesus Christ. This is one man’s opinion and observation. My hope is I stirred up some thoughts for you to think about. There is one place that we can find all the answers to life. That road map is Commonly known as the Bible. If you want the answers to life all you have to do is read. If you would like me to pray with you or want to send a comment please email me at Bob.L@magnificentpromises.com
For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him shall not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16